Under regular supervision of the Security Manager, carries out a variety of responsibilities to protect visitors, staff and museum properties from harm. Job duties include the staffing of the museum 24 / 7 to include weekends and holidays. Must be available to work your shift as well as having the capabilities of working the other shifts if needed. Shifts are as noted 2400 to 0800, 0800 to 1600, 1600 to 2400 and relief shift; other shifts as may be necessary. Schedules are set in advance, but flexibility is a matter of importance in the event of last minute changes or when special events arise.
Primary Job Functions
• Maintain a safe and secure Museum environment.
• Monitor the museum security and fire pads and respond accordingly when alarm activation occurs.
• Be observant for fire (or indications of fire), unusual noises or odors, or malfunctions of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and equipment. Take immediate corrective action or cause immediate corrective action to be taken in these matters.
• Secure all unlocked doors and turn off lights not necessary for normal Museum functions/operations, control the access to all locked areas and conduct guard tour patrols as required by standing or special orders.
• In the absence of an Attendant Supervisor, perform the duties and assume the responsibilities of the R/C-4, and supervise those staff members assigned to work as Attendants.
• Assist visitors and other on-duty personnel when requested, if such request does not violate Museum rules and regulations; maintain order and quiet in public and restricted areas; maintain liaison with local police, and conduct investigations as required and prepare subject reports.
• Maintain a record of portable fire extinguishers within the Museum complex and conduct the required monthly inspections of such equipment.
• Assist in the presentation of in-service programs related to security, fire and safety when requested.
• Regulate and control parking, within the parking lots/areas as required.
• Receive and place in safe keeping, Lost and Found items.
• Maintain a log of all activities occurring during assigned shifts and maintain security and safety records as required.
• Attend all required and recommended training sessions as designated by State and local agencies or the Security Director.
• Perform additional duties as required.
Secondary Job Functions
• Clean driving record, Ability to assist with the transportation needs when required
High School diploma required. Additional training in security, safety, fire prevention and accident prevention.
• Must be able to meet requirements and pass all necessary examinations dictated by the State of New York’s Department of State: Division of Licensing and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, regarding the NYS Security Guard Act of 1992.
Security experience. CPR / AED / First Aid, Clean / Current NYS driver’s license
• May work in inclement weather conditions.
• Will spend prolonged periods on your feet due to walking patrols.
• Must be physically capable to run, carry and climb, lift 50 lbs.
• Will work days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays, etc.
Typical Equipment Used
Electronic fire and security detection systems, Morse watchman data recorder, Flashlight