Visitor Services Coordinator
• Provides customer service to the public and over the phone including general Museum reception, greeting the public, special guests, members and groups in a cheerful, receptive manner at all times.
• Learns and obtains accurate information about the Museum, exhibits, programs and services.
• Assists in opening and closing exhibit areas and museum facility.
• Performs regular walk-through of exhibits and maintains awareness of gallery activities.
• Assist with VIP greetings and Museum tours initiated by senior staff, visitor, custom tours, etc.
• Organize and facilitate programs and rental needs including birthday parties, overnights, etc. Including events on nights and weekends. Proactively handle any arising issues and troubleshoot any emerging problems on the event day.
• Assists in training and assigning work to visitor service staff and volunteers under the direction of the Visitor Services Manager and Assistant Manager.
• Attentive and respondent to Museum Security and emergency responders.
• Back up to Main Reception Desk by operating telephone switchboard and answering phone calls in a warm and friendly manner and providing requested information about Museum, and Cooperstown.
• Help solve basic Museum visitor concerns and respond to/note visitor suggestions.
• Perform all other duties as required and assigned.
• Customer relations and public relations techniques, including phone etiquette.
• Baseball interest and knowledge preferred
• Event planning experience a plus
• HTML and website updating
• Provide excellent customer service to Museum guests, members of the community and all those contacted while performing job functions.
• Enjoy working with the public, meeting new people and partnering with various departments within the Museum.
• Be a positive team player with excellent interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution.
• Communicate effectively with co-workers and the public, including public speaking.
• Ability to problem solve and deal with a variety of variables in situations.
• Proficient organizational and time management skills with strong multi-tasking abilities.
• Lead and train part-time staff and volunteers.
• Work independently and make appropriate decisions.
• Work in a flexible and creative manner with projects and assignments.
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Adhere to all work rules, procedures and policies including, but not limited to those contained in the employee handbook.
Typical Physical Demands
• Sensory demands include speaking, hearing, touching and seeing.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time, climb stairs and occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push and pull drawers to retrieve and file information.
• Occasionally lift, move and carry objects that typically weigh up to 25 pounds.