Hall of Fame Celebrates Cubs Historic World Series Victory with New Museum Exhibit
(COOPERSTOWN, NY) – It was a team 108 years in the making. And this summer, the story of the 2016 World Champion Chicago Cubs will be told at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
The Museum’s exhibit honoring the 2016 Cubs, which is part of the permanent Autumn Glory exhibit, opens Saturday, July 1 and features artifacts, photographs and ephemera detailing the Cubs’ first World Series title since 1908.
Artifacts in the exhibit include:
• The bat used by World Series Most Valuable Player Ben Zobrist to drive in the go-ahead run in the 10th inning of Game 7
• The home jersey worn by Kyle Schwarber – who played in only two regular season games prior to hitting .412 in the World Series – throughout the Fall Classic
• The first-pitch ball from Game 7 at Cleveland’s Progressive Field
• The home jersey worn by Anthony Rizzo during Game 4
• The mitt used by Cubs catcher David Ross throughout the World Series
• The second base bag used in the 10th inning of Game 7 when the Cubs clinched the title
Also included in the exhibit will be 2016 World Series tickets, press pins and a program.
Entrance to the Autumn Glory exhibit is included with Museum admission.
Then in August, as the pennant races heat up, the symbol of the Cubs’ historic championship will come to Cooperstown.
The Hall of Fame will host Cubs Weekend Aug. 26-27, with the 2016 World Series Trophy on display at the Museum both days. Museum visitors will have the chance to relive the 2016 season and create new memories in Cooperstown, where artifacts of the Cubs’ world title will be preserved forever.
The trophy will be on exhibit at the Museum from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 26 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 27. Visitors will be permitted to take pictures with the trophy.
The Museum will be open from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. both days. Throughout the weekend, visitors can learn about the history of the Chicago Cubs through guided exhibit tours, artifact spotlights, player profiles, trivia contests, themed craft stations and other special opportunities.
Autumn Glory will feature the 2016 Cubs artifacts through the end of the 2017 World Series, when artifacts from the most recent Fall Classic will be put on exhibit. For more information on Cubs Weekend at the Hall of Fame, visit www.baseballhall.org/events.